Wednesday, January 13, 2010

January 26 Event

Anu and Soren hosted this event at the clubhouse in their apartment complex (Cranbrook). The space was very comfortable, with good lighting and plenty of table space. Anu made key lemon pie for everyone. Yum!

We had eight people, so after an initial filler of "Worm Up!" while waiting for everyone to arrive, we split into two groups and played "Carson City" and "Small World." I was in the Carson City group. The game is a medium heavy role selection/worker placement/tile laying game with lots of direct interaction and a manageable dose of luck. This was my first time playing with four, and I was struck by how quickly the options and spaces for tiles got claimed. The scores were pretty close, but Soren got a solid win based largely on a last turn money strategy.

I understand that Jeff won Small World, but I don't know the details and haven't played the game.

After that, we were down to seven and we wanted to do something together as a group, so we played a couple of games of Incan Gold. I believe the wins went to Steve and Shelly (but I'm not sure about the first one).

Shelly and I had to leave after Incan Gold, so I don't know what the night owls did with the rest of the evening.

3 comments:

  1. Hey,

    Would anyone be interested in playing the following?

    Space Alert - just played for the first time. I think I could teach it.
    Age of Steam or Steam - again, played AoS for the first time
    Galaxy Trucker

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I can't figure out to edit my post like Brian, I'll add another.

    Jeff did indeed win Smallworld. First time for myself, Romeo, and Romeo's friend. It was fun to see your armies wash across the board and to see how the different powers/combos worked. It would certainly be easier a 2nd time. It also made me want to try Vinci again which I haven't in about three years.

    Incan Gold was indeed my one win of the night! The next game I scored 3 which seemed much more in line with my success in the game.

    Anu, Soren, Jeff, Romeo, and I finished with a game of Vineta which Jeff won. Anu and Soren were new to the game. The game can be quite chaotic (which is fine with me in a game that lasts and hour) and you can unintentionally cause some serious swings. For example, I found it hilarious when Soren ended a round early causing Anu to score major points. It was also funny when we had to fight over the last two parts of the island and three of us were unsure who they might belong to.

    Anyways, fun night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a good time as did Adele. I am looking forward to the next night! I like the Incan gold game, it was a good one to play with all 7 of us.
    I think I want to try Carson City next, that looked like a very interesting game!

    -Romeo

    ReplyDelete